All Events > A Discussion on Leadership, Maasai Culture, and Life in Rural Kenya
A Discussion on Leadership, Maasai Culture, and Life in Rural Kenya
| past event | Oct 13 2008
Oct 13, 2008
Rm 250 Goldman School of Public Policy 2607 Hearst Ave., UC Berkeley
A Discussion on Leadership, Maasai Culture, and Life in Rural Kenya.
- Leadership in a changing world
- Balancing age-old Maasai traditions in a modern context
- State of education in rural Kenyan villages
- FGM and village leadership efforts against the practice
- Elder Sabore Ole Oiye acts as an advisor to community elders and a cultural ambassador for Kenya.
- Helen Nkuraiya is a teacher and former school principal. She has been collaborating with nonprofits since 2003.
Projects sponsored by the Asante Africa Foundation In Kenya and Tanzania Include:
By January 2009, we strive to complete these projects:
- Building 12 classrooms and 20 toilets
- Buying needed textbooks, desks and teaching materials
- Providing mosquito nets and 56 dorm beds
- Providing full scholarships for >100 student