The Agricultural Technology Adoption Initiative (ATAI), co-managed by CEGA and J-PAL, is seeking a part-time full stack web developer to start in January 2022. This role would be part of the Agriculture Programs team at CEGA. The principal investigator for this project is Craig McIntosh, Professor of Economics at University of California San Diego.
We are seeking a web developer to build out a data platform for ATAI-funded research. This work will build a platform so that researchers can access and visualize novel geolocated datasets. The data platform will allow researchers to download customized datasets and serve as a repository for harmonized datasets. This is aligned with CEGA’s commitment to open and transparent science.
Project Deliverables and Timeline
The website and data platform will need to be built from scratch. Deliverables include, but are not limited to:
- Create an accessible and navigable data platform for researchers to create customized datasets for download similar to usa.ipums.org/usa, with a custom queryable index built, drawing from datasets hosted on the platform, and “pointing” to other datasets hosted on various repositories
- Host platform within a user-friendly website wherein static pages can be easily updated by administrators
- Implement a security and back-up protocol
We need to complete a data platform prototype by Summer 2022 with public launch in Fall 2022. We need someone to work 15-20 hours per week, although we expect time required per week to fluctuate, with heavier load occurring closer to platform launch.
- The developer should have experience and expertise in
- Full-stack experience developing interactive web interfaces (provide examples/portfolio)
- Back end development experience (Linux, apache, Python, Ruby, php, Java, Julia, SQL, etc.)
- Strong sense of graphic design and user experience design
- Basic understanding of accessibility and security compliance
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs, Git, and other relevant technologies and principles
- Experience developing data platforms to support scientific research
- Ability to connect remotely during Pacific time business hours
- Experience using project management platforms (Github projects, Trello, etc.)
- Experience with spatial and statistical web packages (e.g., Shiny apps, Folium maps)
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to assess and communicate technical challenges and design decisions
- Commitment to producing clean, documented code, e.g., as evidenced by public github repos
Contact and How to Apply
Please send questions or statements of interest (including examples of past work and hourly rate) to CEGA Agriculture Programs Manager, Jenna Fahle (firstname.lastname@example.org).