The Center for Effective Global Action (CEGA) is a hub for research, training and innovation headquartered at the University of California, Berkeley. We generate insights that leaders can use to improve policies, programs, and people’s lives. Our academic network includes more than 150 faculty, 65 scholars from low- and middle-income countries, and hundreds of graduate students–from across academic disciplines and across the globe–to produce rigorous evidence about what works to expand education, health, and economic opportunities for people living in poverty. For more information, visit our website.
CEGA is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) — please read our values statement.
First review date: Wednesday, Dec 7, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Tuesday, Jan 31, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
About the Position
CEGA has two positions available to support a study, as part of the center’s larger Transparency research agenda. The primary goal is to evaluate the impact of reporting guidelines and resource incentives on reporting practices and publication outcomes of pre-registered research projects in economics and political science, and to ultimately improve the transparency and reproducibility of social science research. The positions will work closely with CEGA Faculty Director Edward Miguel, Staff Scientist Fernando Hoces de la Guardia, and other CEGA staff, to support project management of the study and contribute to data collection, management and analysis. The project will begin in 2023, and the positions will work to support the testing and implementation of reporting guidelines, the development of statistical models and analyses using Stata, R and other software packages, and will support the publishing of the resulting findings and research materials.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent international degree or enrolled in a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent international degree program
Junior: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent international degree
Assistant: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent international degree and at least two (2) years of professional experience OR Master’s degree or equivalent international degree
- 1-2 years experience conducting empirical research including contributing to – data collection and cleaning activities;
- 1-2 years experience and competency with statistical software packages such as STATA, R, and ability to render accurate statistical analysis;
- Ability to read and analyze published papers in economics, and accurately understand their main results;
- Ability to independently investigate solutions to technical and administrative problems;
- Ability to meet and discuss project objectives with academics, policymakers and donors;
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, with the ability to translate complex scientific findings into accessible, non-technical language (via publications or professional presentations);
- Ability to work well with multi-national teams, and communicate effectively with colleagues and faculty.
- Strong interest in causal inference in applied microeconometrics, research design and program evaluation; experience with machine-learning methods a plus;
- Experience applying data transparency tools and techniques such as study registries, pre-analysis plans, open data platforms, and disclosure of methods and results;
- Ability to interact with individuals at all levels in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure, while remaining flexible, proactive, tactful, resourceful and efficient, and with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement on Contributions to Advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion – Statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including information about your understanding of these topics, your record of activities to date, and your specific plans and goals for advancing equity and inclusion if hired at Berkeley (for additional information go to https://ofew.berkeley.edu/recruitment/contributions-diversity).
3 references required (contact information only)