The Center for Effective Global Action (CEGA) seeks a full-time Program Associate to support our Agriculture and Institutions research initiatives.
CEGA is a West Coast hub for research on global development, with a network of 100+ academic researchers extending across the University of California, Stanford University, and the University of Washington. Our faculty affiliates design and test solutions for the problems of poverty, generating actionable evidence for policy-makers in less developed countries. Using rigorous field trials, behavioral experiments, and tools from data science, we measure and maximize the impacts of economic development programs throughout the world.
CEGA’s research is organized around a set of initiatives that generate and disseminate policy-relevant research within specific sectors. The Agricultural Technology Adoption Initiative (ATAI) aims to provide the rigorous evidence base needed to effectively pursue agricultural transformation of rural economies in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia. The Economic Development and Institutions (EDI) initiative seeks to enhance the effectiveness of political and legal institutions in driving equitable economic growth.
This is an exciting opportunity for recent graduates who are interested in global development and rigorous impact evaluation; have a strong desire to learn and use skills in project management, communications, and research administration; and are energized to contribute to the long-term success of a dynamic organization.
The Program Associate will support research initiative development, implementation, and evidence dissemination for both the ATAI and EDI initiatives, as well as related activities for CEGA, with supervision from the Program Manager. In collaboration with our partners at the Abdul Latif Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) and Oxford Policy Management (OPM), s/he will ensure effective administrative, research management, and dissemination systems to meet programmatic goals. The Program Associate work closely with program faculty leadership across both programs, including Craig McIntosh (UC San Diego), Jeremy Magruder (UC Berkeley), Tavneet Suri (MIT, J-PAL), Ernesto Dal Bó (UC Berkeley), and Frederico Finan (UC Berkeley). We advise you do not contact these faculty members directly, as they will only redirect you to the formal application process below.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate competitive research grant-making processes for both initiatives, including tracking applications, drafting proposal summaries, creating review templates, organizing materials and review committees, and ensuring compliance with review, contracting, and reporting policies.
- Facilitate the dissemination of research findings to partners and other stakeholders. This may include drafting case studies and summaries of research; developing briefing materials; drafting and edit reports, concept notes, blogs, and program collateral; updating WordPress-based program websites.
- Organize initiative-related convenings and leadership meetings, contributing to or leading event management.
- Maintain project and personnel tracking in Salesforce (and other systems) to support project management, M&E, and stakeholder outreach. Generate inputs for CEGA performance management by gathering and analyzing administrative and other resource data and preparing internal reports and/or analyses.
- Track research grantee reporting in collaboration with partner institutions. This may include ensuring that valuable research, policy partner updates, and preliminary findings are made known within the program to support overarching outreach and decision-making, as well as supporting relationships with donors, particularly around grant reporting.
- Support the Program Manager in pursuing strategic opportunities to fundraise and expand CEGA activities by drafting concept notes and grant proposals, monitoring external research and policy initiatives relevant to the Center’s agriculture and institutions initiatives, and supporting initiative-related outreach and communications.
- Contribute to financial management by supporting initiative expense tracking and budget development for new initiatives.
- Participate in CEGA-wide activities, including internal working groups, process documentation, outreach and communications, and major events.
- BA/BS in Economics, International Development, Agriculture and Resource Economics, Business or Management, Public Policy, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of economic development and impact evaluation, with previous professional opportunities or prior coursework in econometrics and/or impact evaluation
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills, including a demonstrated spirit of innovation and proven attention to detail, an ability to multitask and responsiveness to deadlines;
- Strong skills in short-term planning, analysis, problem-anticipation and -solving, and customer service; ability to independently investigate solutions to administrative challenges, anticipate leadership needs, and communicate with colleagues.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, with the ability to translate complex scientific findings into accessible, non-technical language;
- Ability to interact with individuals from a variety of backgrounds in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure, while remaining flexible, proactive, tactful, resourceful and efficient, and with a high level of professionalism and discretion;
- Competency with MS Office and Google applications.
- Demonstrated interest in and basic knowledge of evidence-based policy-making
- 1-3 years of relevant professional experience
- Experiencing managing grants and/or contracts
- Experience writing research proposals
- Experience with WordPress, Salesforce, and Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign and Photoshop;
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of interventions focusing on agriculture and/or institutions in less-developed countries
- Sense of humor with a positive attitude in approaching challenges and uncertainty
- Field experience, particularly on rigorous impact evaluation research, household surveys
- Working proficiency in French or other languages widely spoken in parts of Sub-Saharan Africa.
Online application via the UC Berkeley jobs portal is required. Please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu and search for Job ID# 26293. Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying in the UC Berkeley jobs portal.
Please note CEGA is only able to hire individuals who are eligible to work in the US, either through an Optional Practical Training (OPT) visa or as a result of being US citizen or permanent resident.