CEGA’s DS4D (Data Science for Development) work aims to improve the visibility and usage of innovative datasets and research using “big data” in global development. Our Geo4Dev Initiative, launched officially in December, 2020, takes a step in this direction by promoting geospatial resources for development through the new Geo4.dev website.
Recently, CEGA launched its Geo4Dev Learning Modules project. Learning modules are designed as “one-stop educational shops” for researchers new to a specific geospatial approach or dataset. They work as tutorials that walk users through datasets using written and visual content, modeled off the World Bank Jupyter/Github tutorial for nighttime lights, and the Geo4Dev Symposium nighttime lights workshop.
CEGA is seeking the help of a fall intern to develop additional Geo4Dev learning modules in collaboration with CEGA faculty, to pilot these modules through CEGA events and workshops, and to work with research teams to develop new resources and data infrastructures around novel research utilizing geospatial analytics. This is a remote, paid internship.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Help identify a selection of geospatial research domains and/or datasets to explore in consultation with other relevant researchers and experts that could be improved through learning modules
- Conduct interviews with CEGA faculty and other researchers to identify collaborative opportunities to develop Geo4Dev Learning Modules
- Review all existing resources around novel datasets or approaches and develop a draft outline for the proposed Geo4Dev Learning Module on Github.
- Draft Learning modules by providing detailed information on accessing data, descriptions of datasets, and detailed documentation of usage examples and tools.
- Work closely with researchers to add additional features that researchers propose. In order to test learning modules, this may require circulating learning modules within our research networks so academics can share learning modules with their PhD students, and provide feedback on what is and isn’t working.
- work with our partners to build out new Learning Modules on the Geo4Dev website.
- Assist with event planning and execution for our Geo4Dev 2021 Symposium.
- Work with the a team at UCSB / UCB research team to develop tutorials, data infrastructure, and other resources surrounding MOSAIKS–A generalizable and accessible approach to machine learning with global satellite imagery
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience with geospatial data and analysis – for example, experience using programming packages (e.g. R, Python, etc.) accessing and manipulating Raster and/or Vector data, and/or familiarity with different geospatial data sources (Landsat, Sentinel 2, etc..)
- Data science experience, including knowledge of data modeling, data visualization, data cleaning, structured and unstructured data, and statistical methods.
- Experience with social science research, particularly in the field of development economics
- Experience conducting literature reviews
- Experience conducting web-based research
- Experience with event planning and execution
- Experience with some combination of program languages and statistical analysis software (Python, SQL, Git, R, STATA)
How to Apply
Please send 1) a one-page cover letter and 2) a CV to Sam Fishman at email@example.com with the Subject “Geo4Dev Intern – Fall 2021.”