The Center for Effective Global Action (CEGA) is a hub for research on global development, with a network of over 75 academic researchers extending across the University of California, Stanford University, University of British Columbia, and the University of Washington. Our faculty affiliates design and test solutions for the problems of poverty, generating actionable evidence for policy-makers in less developed countries. Using rigorous field trials, behavioral experiments, and tools from data science, we measure and maximize the impacts of economic development programs throughout the world.
Closing DateOct 6, 2017 11:59 pm PDT
Please note this is the same position as the Operations Associate (title only has been changed).
CEGA seeks a motivated Finance & Reporting Associate to work closely with the Operations Manager in support of the Center’s operations. This is a challenging opportunity for junior professionals who are interested in academic administration and global development; have a strong desire to use and deepen skills in project management, metrics and evaluation, and research assistance; and are energized to contribute to the long-term success of a dynamic organization.
This Associate will provide administrative support to CEGA research and training programs. S/he will actively liaise with UC Berkeley Campus Shared Services (CSS)—the University’s finance and administration division—on behalf of CEGA regarding purchasing, reimbursements, finance, and grants. The incumbent will also contribute to center-wide operations strategy and process improvements. Candidates must be highly organized.
This is a 1 year, full time, contract position (with the possibility of extension).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Financial Transactions (70%):
- Support Operations Manager in setting up new contracts, grants, and gifts to CEGA, including subawards and payments to researchers at Berkeley and other campuses.
- Liaise with central campus (i.e. Campus Shared Services) and CEGA’s program staff to disburse funds awarded to researchers through grant competitions, including drafting scopes of work, terms/conditions, and deliverables.
- Support Operations Manager in helping CEGA program teams design and implement realistic budgets.
- Consult CEGA teams as needed to identify appropriate payment mechanisms for research competitions, during proposal development and program implementation.
- Process reimbursements and vendor payments for events and other activities as needed.
- Salesforce Administration and Reporting (10%):
- Support overall administration of the Center’s Salesforce database by facilitating data entry, building reporting templates, running reports, and auditing programs for data quality.
- Run reports in Salesforce to support internal Center-wide reporting as well as external reporting to campus and donors on research outcomes, finances, etc.
- Track and manage the flow of Operations services in Salesforce.
- Special Projects (10%):
- Manage student funding competitions by drafting RFAs, liaising with internal and external administrators, coordinating peer review, disbursing funding, tracking awardee performance and reporting, and managing invoicing.
- Function as a resource to help faculty, colleagues, post docs, graduate students, and external vendors successfully engage with Campus Shared Services.
- Center-wide Activities (10%)
- Contribute to a CEGA working group by assisting with goal setting, project management and implementation, and progress reporting.
- Participate in Center-wide activities, including weekly staff meetings, annual staff retreat, major events, maintenance of standard operating procedures (SOPs), staff recruitment and onboarding, and performance management.
- Requires a BA/BS in Economics, Business, Public Administration or related field.
- 2-3 years of relevant professional experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Extremely well organized, with strong administrative skills and outstanding attention to detail.
- Knowledge of a variety of administrative operations, such as budget creation, financial forecasting, databases.
- Self-directed, intrinsically motivated; proven capacity to manage work independently, multitask and be responsive to time-sensitive deadlines.
- Strong skills in short-term planning, analysis, problem-anticipation and -solving, and customer service; ability to independently investigate solutions to administrative challenges and anticipate leadership needs.
- Strong and effective interpersonal skills in working with colleagues at all levels. Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality. Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work diplomatically with diverse constituencies.
- Ability to contribute to remaining flexible and able to adapt to change.
- Strong competency with MS Office (including solid understanding of Excel) and Google applications.
- Working knowledge of limited UC policy and procedures or capacity to acquire it rapidly.
- Experience with administration and/or development of Salesforce.
- Experience using UC Berkeley’s BearBuy procurement software.
- Sense of humor with a positive attitude in approaching challenges and uncertainty.
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted through the UC Berkeley jobs website. Please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu and search for Job ID# 23540. Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. In addition to a current CV, candidates should submit a cover letter outlining (1) qualifications for the responsibilities listed above, (2) specific interest in the position, and (3) three academic and/or professional references. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Please note CEGA will only hire individuals who are eligible to work in the US, either through an Optional Practical Training (OPT) visa or as a result of being US citizen or permanent resident.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
Applications accepted on a rolling basis until filled.