The project involves an evaluation of off-grid solar home systems in Uganda. It is being carried out in partnership with the Resilient Africa Network (RAN) at Makerere University, USAID’s Scaling Off-Grid Energy (SOGE) team, and a local solar partner. As solar home systems become more prolific in the developing world, it is vital that the technical and research capacity necessary to support the sustainable growth trajectory of this industry exists within sub-Saharan Africa. The research team will help build RAN’s capacity to inform responsible battery waste management practices for in-home solar providers while rigorously measuring, through a randomized trial, the socio-economic impacts of having access to an in-home solar system as well as a novel, related loan product.
This is a unique opportunity for a graduate student to gain rich experience with empirical research and survey design as well as project management.
Closing DateAug 13, 2018 12:00 am PDT
- Manage project timelines and workflows at UC Berkeley
- Work closely with PIs and partners to track project progress and troubleshoot challenges that arise;
- Support reporting to Makerere (the prime);
- Lead design of research questions, survey instruments, sampling plans, and a field management plan for conducting surveys;
- Interface with partners regarding project roll-out.
- Enrollment in an Econ, Public Policy, Development Practice or related graduate program at UC Berkeley;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and manage complex and competing priorities;
- Proficiency working with large data and statistical software packages (like STATA or R);
- Demonstrable experience cleaning, managing and analyzing large data sets;
- Experience working with survey data;
- Experience conducting empirical research in developing countries;
- Familiarity with randomized control trials;
- Familiarity with energy systems in developing countries a plus.
Salary commensurate with experience (includes partial fee remission).
How to Apply:
The position has been filled.