The Center for Effective Global Action (CEGA) is a hub for research on global development, with a network of over 75 academic researchers extending across the University of California, Stanford University, University of British Columbia, and the University of Washington. Our faculty affiliates design and test solutions for the problems of poverty, generating actionable evidence for policy-makers in less developed countries. Using rigorous field trials, behavioral experiments, and tools from data science, we measure and maximize the impacts of economic development programs throughout the world.
Established by CEGA in 2012, the Berkeley Initiative for Transparency in the Social Sciences (BITSS) works to strengthen the integrity of social science research and evidence used for policy-making. The initiative aims to enhance the practices of economists, psychologists, political scientists, and other social scientists in ways that promote research transparency, reproducibility, and openness.
Nov 1, 2018 11:59 pm PDT
BITSS is looking for a motivated student intern to support our design and digital presence. This is an opportunity for a graduate student or third or fourth year undergraduate to work on a short-term project (up to 2 months) during the 2018 Fall semester. We are able to offer a stipend for this position.
- Reorganize the BITSS website (BITSS.org), making it more intuitive to navigate, and visually engaging. This may include making the website mobile device-friendly
- Design and implement data visualizations based on BITSS program data
- Provide guidance on website layout and content to help deliver a clear, targeted message
- Produce event collateral design (signage, posters, flyers, brochures, etc.) within style/brand specifications
- Advise BITSS on website security protocols and best practices. This may include creating automated mechanisms for website backup and updating.
- Skilled in Web Design, Digital Marketing, or other relevant field
- Well-versed in WordPress theme development and customization, as well as using and customizing plugins to extend a site’s functionality
- Experienced with Adobe Creative Suite
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Well-organized, with strong attention to detail
- Self-directed, intrinsically motivated; proven capacity to manage work independently, multitask and be responsive to time-sensitive deadlines
- Ability to contribute while remaining flexible.
- Interest in research transparency and reproducibility
- Junior, Senior, or Graduate student studying Web Design, Computer Science, or other relevant field
- Well-versed in website CSS programming
- Familiar with responsive design principals and implementation of responsive frameworks and coding best practices for building mobile-friendly websites
- Experience with website security, managing underlying SQL database, SSH/SFTP, and ability to reliably backup website data
- Well-versed in R Markdown
- Sense of humor with a positive attitude in approaching challenges and uncertainty.
Send a cover letter and resume to Aleks Bogdanoski at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “BITSS Intern – Fall 2018”. Please detail any previous experience with website development, design, or security.