2nd Annual CEGA Day: Innovating for the Poor - New Directions in Financial Services and Labor Markets. CEGA Faculty Affiliates presented their latest work on micro-insurance and savings, education, and human capital development to practitioners and graduate students.
Date and Time
Oct 29, 2010 10:30am — 4:30pm
Wells Fargo Room
Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
10:30 am - Introduction to CEGA
- Executive Director, Dr. Temina Madon, UC Berkeley
- Faculty Director, Professor Edward Miguel, UC Berkeley
- Professor Craig McIntosh, UC San Diego
- For more information on the projects mentioned in Craig's presentation, please visit:
Interlinked Micro-insurance in Ethiopia:
Micro-insurance in China:
Savings Services in Rural Kenya:
Savings for Guatemalan Small-business Owners:
12:30 pm - Lunch
1:30 pm - Achieving Universal Quality Primary Education in India
- Professor Karthik Muralidharan, UC San Diego
- "Teacher Absence in India: A Snapshot." (May 2005) Karthik Muralidharan with Michael Kremer, Nazmul Chaudhury, F. Halsey Rogers, and Jeffrey Hammer.
- "Teacher Performance Pay: Experimental Evidence from India." (September 2009) Karthik Muralidharan with Venkatesh Sundararaman.
- "The Impact of Diagnostic Feedback to Teachers on Student Learning: Experimental Evidence from India." (February 2010) Karthik Muralidharan with Venkatesh Sundararaman.
- "Contract Teachers: Experimental Evidence from India." (May 2010) Karthik Muralidharan with Venkatesh Sundararaman.
- "When Can School Inputs Improve Test Scores?" (October 2010) Karthik Muralidharan with Jishnu Das, Stefan Dercon, James Habyarimana, Pramila Krishnan, and Venkatesh Sundararaman.
2:45 pm - Coffee Break
3:15 pm - Who Gets the Job Referral? Social Networks in India
- Professor Jeremy Magruder, UC Berkeley
- Paper: "Who gets the job referral? Evidence from a social networks experiment." (October 2010) Jeremy Magruder with Lori Beaman.